Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Safari Chicago Memoirs: Real People, Real Stories


Here are true Chicago stories we are passing along from our Safari friends....

Here is the FINAL Course Map Gazelles to Kalamazoo Central

And this week’s Safari Email

Friendship

It will be one I will remember forever. Not finishing was never a thought that crossed my mind. I continued even after one police officer yelled at me to just stop running, and drop out? Drop out where ? I thought. No, I came to finish, finish I did. I was prepared for everything that day, but the heat. I do want to thank all of you who motivated me every weekend through the training. What a great group to be involved in. I enjoyed my whole summer of training and all of the friends that I have made.

Inspiration

What a mess! We took it really slow and were forced by the marathon people to walk the last 7 miles or so (though we tried to keep running.) I finished and all, and felt good actually, but kind of a lame first marathon. I was so upset when they just announced the race was closed. I should have gone faster. I guess the good thing is that my next marathon can only be better! and I know I can do it now. that's for sure.

Courage

I was one of the UNFORTUNATE ones who DID finish. As I crossed the line I had the medics catch me because I do NOT remember the last 2 miles of the race. I stayed in the medic tent for @4 hours and then they shipped me off to the hospital for another 4-5 hours because my blood work came back where all my levels (electrolytes, hemoglobin, potassium, sugar). So, 4 IV bags, 3 bottles of gatorade and lots of water later, I am at work! We got home at midnight! Why am I here working? I'm feeling better a little, but could use rest!

Motivation

Before events gradually slip from my head, I'd like to share my
experience and impression with the Chicago marathon. First of all, I
can understand why this is such a popular marathon. It was fun to
run through Chicago neighborhoods and seeing all those folks
screaming and cheering. With different live bands playing in several
neighborhoods, who need to go to one of those rock n run marathons.

I think the race officials and runners should share blame alike. For
the race officials, these are my thoughts:
1) they had the weather forecasts of hot and humid weather on race
day, why didn't they position cooling aids at the beginning of the
course, instead of toward the end
2) there was no crowd control. It was mayhem at every aid station
but the first one
3) they might have been better off if a few more aid stations were
added at the last minute, especially toward the middle part of the
course when the sun was almost directly over slow runners like me

For the runners, I think we all acted like selfish, immature kids or
adolescents. The behavior at the aid stations made me want to yell
at the runners that 'slow is fast'. If everybody simply let the
volunteers do the work, we could all get at hydration much sooner and
effectively. Instead, everyone wanted to grab any available liquid
before it ran out. What about the people behind us? We let them
perish? We are such a selfish group. I don't remember how many
times I was shoved and pushed at the aid stations.

Lastly, I can't say enough good things about Chicagoans. They are
generous and kind. I've received Evian water, ice cubes, and
popsicle along the route when things really were looking bleak for
us. Next year, I think I will go to a smaller and more laid back
marathon. However, this Chicago marathon was the most memorable one
because I survived it and lived to tell.

Endurance

Many of you have called or e-mailed; wondering how I managed through the heat and humidity in Chicago on Sunday… …...so I just wanted to let all of you know that although it was the hardest marathon to date for me……I did finish safe and sound before they officially closed the course. I started the race realistically knowing I wouldn’t even be close to my usually times; so I thought I would take it easy and just have a “fun race”; I set my sites on just finishing with out:
#1)cramping, #2) puking, and #3) passing out
I’m happy to report my MISSION was ACCOMPLISHED (well…not the fun part…). I adjusted to the heat and humidity the best I could, listened to my body, slowed my pace , made sure I hydrated and kept my body as cool as I possibly could… but the humidity is no friend of mine even when I’m at rest so it had already taken its toll on me by mile 4. My pace seemed to slow more and more as I passed each mile marker.……As I was running (well shuffling towards the end…) I obviously had more “thinking” time than I usually do; I tried to push out the negative thoughts and replaced them with positive thoughts of all of my friends and family (all of you)…. which REALLY helped me preserver and make it to that finish line!!!! Although I went through a sea of emotions during the marathon; including coming to a definite decision that this was absolutely going to be my very last marathon; by 2:30 in the afternoon I was already talking to my family about coming back and running Chicago 2008. (Good thing I’m indecisive!!!!) I know some of you who don’t run think I’m CRAZY INSANE (which I am ….) but at the same time, you understand and know that running is just a part of who I am. I really appreciate that! As for my fellow marathoners who were pounding the same sweltering pavement as I was on Sunday…..no matter what that clock read in Grant Park……you should be very proud!!! WE will forever share this special bond and you all have my utmost respect and admiration (plus I felt your pain!) NO matter what…all of you are special to me and I wanted to thank you for your ongoing encouragement and support!! Know that I’m feeling great, recovering fast and already gearing up for Boston 2008 (40-50 degree weather without a Nor’easter storm or a heat wave would be very nice!!)

Perseverence

I know they had so many names to go through but I did complete the Chicago Marathon on my 28th birthday!!!! I got the most birthday wishes ever!! DNF was not an option for me. I found out about mile 21 and was pissed cuz I really wanted my medal and I didn't care if I had to walk the rest of the way (I was able to run a little of it when I felt okay, but they were yelling at us to walk...). Of course I added an hour and 10 minutes to last year's time but I did run (and a little walking) 26.2 miles!

Anticipation

I'm sure you have heard or read much of the news that came out of the2007 Chicago Marathon experience. From the "photo finish" - 1/20 of asecond between the first and second place finisher as well as theformidable heat. Thought you might like another story to add to yourcollection. The first half went very well. The heat really caught up with by mile18. The last 8 miles were more of a death march than a run. I probablywalked at least 4 miles of last 7 miles. At mile 22 (and four hoursinto the marathon) race, the police started shouting out that themarathon has been cancelled and will be considered as a fun run; ohboy! Have you ever participated in a Marathon "Fun Run"? Finished injust under five hours at 4:50. Couldn't wait to get to the finishline. The race director did the right thing by "cancelling" the race.During the run, I saw several runners receiving medical attention.Thought the medical teams were very responsive, and as I laterlearned, were very overwhelmed. Sirens were the norm. Thatafternoon/evening at the post-party the race director explained thedecision. The crowd applauded his decision. We understood hisresponsibility. If you go online looking for my results, you won't find 'em. I ran asmy daughter-in-law. My son and his wife had signedup to also run Chicago, but plans changed about two months ago. Sincethey had paid the registration fees, I picked up their materials atthe expo in addition to my own. Somehow, I managed to lose my chip andbib envelope somewhere between the expo and the hotel room. My son hadregistered his own chip so his packet did not include a chip. So Iused my daughter-in-law’s instead. BTW, she PR'd. Consider Chicago as a long training run. Grand Rapids is next!